Tuesday, July 18, 2006

The Horrors: Sheena Is A Parasite

I remember seeing the video for Peter Gabriel's "Sledgehammer" and being so blown away that it actually made me like the song. Remember that? With the dude wearing the suit made of stars marching through the room made of stars through an open door? Tell me you don't think about that shit every time you hear that horn riff. Stop lying, you know you do.



A video can actually make a song good. Exhibit B: Genesis' "Land of Confusion." Genesis SUCKS, they sucked then and they suck now, and the whole world knows it. But that Spitting Image video was so cool that it actually made the song cool to this day. I still leave the radio on "Land of Confusion" if nobody's around -- I just shut my eyes, bite my upper lip like a white man dancing and rock out to mental visions of scary rubber puppets.

Chris Cunnigham has directed some of the most perfect, crucial music videos ever -- including Aphex Twin's 'Windowlicker' and 'Come to Daddy" as well as Squarepusher's "Come On My Selector."

He's back from a 7 year music video hiatus with a video for The Horrors' "Sheena Is A Parasite." Rumor has it that he found the band via MySpace. Even if you think the song is no good (and you are barking mad, my man, because that bass line is HAUNTING), the video will make you hum it all month. Cunningham's video for "Sheena" has combines the best elements of all music videos:

1) beautiful lady
2) low budget
3) smoking song
4) completely terrifying

My prediction is that this video will help the single be for horror-themed garage-punk what Myspace was for Gnarls Barkley. Here goes the video itself. Just click the image below:

Sheena Is A Parasite

, ,

3 Comments:

At 2:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In the interest of scientific accuracy, I feel that I must point out that the dance-related facial gesture you're referring to is known, in scientific circles, as "the white man's overbite", and is performed by biting the LOWER lip with the UPPER teeth. (Often accompanied by a slight jutting out of the chin.) Cheers! -D.Billy

 
At 11:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh man, I love The Horrors, I'll definetely have to check that out when I get home.

 
At 12:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

... so very wrong about Genesis, my friend. "Invisible Touch" is genius.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home