Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Bionic Woman , Pre-Tune-Up

Rachel's Rods

This is Rachel, my girlfriend. She's beautiful, sweet, loving, and endlessly patient with my constant mood swings. She's also sort of bionic.

When she was a little girl, she started developing scoliosis pretty badly. Doctors eventually opened her back right up and fused two titanium rods to her increasingly unruly spine.

"That oughta teach it a thing or two," everyone thought. Rachel healed up, and life proceeded normally, with flawless posture.

Now, though, there are some new problems. See that bump right beside the scar there? That's not her shoulder blade -- that's the ends of her titanium rods, bending away from the spine and sticking out. It's causing some problems. Her back is sore, there's some numbness.

Tomorrow afternoon, Rachel's going under the knife again. This time the surgeons are going to go in and saw off the ends of those rods, get 'em to lay down a little bit. For some reason I envision her doctor using bolt cutters, those big clippers people use in the city to steal bikes. I doubt those are in the toolbox, though.

They say it's no big deal, she's only going to be in the hospital for two days and will be up and around in a week. If you ask me, two days is an eternity in an age when heart attack victims are all but shoved out the door in a shopping cart after their surgery.

I know this is no big deal, and that everything's going to be just fine. But man, I'm worried all the same. Say a little prayer for us, please?

Labels: , , , , ,

8 Comments:

At 9:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeff,

Thank you so much for your support, concern, and unrelenting efforts to make me feel loved, appreciated, and cared for.

Also, thank you to everyone who wrote me this morning, wishing me good luck and a speedy recovery. It means the world to me.

I love you madly, brown eyes

 
At 11:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will be thinking of you both tomorrow and over the next few days! Best of luck for an easy surgery and recovery, Rachel.

 
At 11:43 AM, Blogger Kristin said...

Definitely thinking of you both. Praying, too.

 
At 4:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am in awe of doctors always coming up with new ways to fix people when we are broken. I hope the surgery goes EXACTLY as planned and your lady-friend is indeed back on her bionic feet asap.
-Katie

 
At 8:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wishes and prayers with Rachel for a safe, effective, not too painful, easily recuperated from, surgery:)

 
At 9:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When she starts running, does she go into slo-mo and make that na-na-na sound?

jk of course. Here's to being sure that everything will turn out fine and be even better afterwards..cheers!

 
At 10:20 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

I stumbled upon your blog, but wanted to wish her (and you) the best of luck! heres to a quick recovery!

 
At 11:32 AM, Blogger Ron said...

You know what they say, "Spare the rod, spoil the Rachel."

OK, maybe not...

Hope she has a quick recovery.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home