Tuesday, August 09, 2005

A Bit of Underwater Ultra-Violence, Courtesy of My Favorite Mollusk

Octopus Escaping Kitchen

Octopi have been much maligned in the media. From the nasty little bugger in Ian Fleming's Octopussy to the monstrous submarine-eating monsters of 50's moviedom, the elegant, brilliant, and shy mollusks have gotten the short end of the stick.

Maybe the dozen or so of you that still read this blog recall my earler effervescent post about the giant octopus feeding at the National Zoo...my video here. (Quicktime required)


But just to turn all that monster-loving flower child talk around on its ear again, here is a video of a giant octopus RUTHLESSLY attacking sharks...apparently because it likes to kill sharks. The video is in Real Player, which is a bit inconvenient to download, but I assure you, it's worth the trouble...

6 Comments:

At 5:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have I told you about my Octopus musical? We need to talk, stank.

 
At 7:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there,

I found your picture, "Octopus escaping the kitchen" by typing "disgruntled octopus" into Google search engine. I'm a graduate student (about to graduate, in theory) in molecular biology. We study a single-celled parasite that causes sleeping sickness. Long story short, one of the genes I'm studying in the parasite, if you get rid of it, the resulting cells look rather like octopi. I've been calling them my "octopus cells" for the last three years. Would you mind if I included this picture in my thesis (as a disgruntled octopus leaving grad school)and see if my advisors notice it?

Let me know, and thank you for the chuckle. The YouTube video of the octopus feeding is awesome.

Crainefish

P.S. I like the title of your blog. It's a lot like Dave Barry's "I'm not making this up..."

 
At 7:11 PM, Blogger Jeff Simmermon said...

Hey -- I stole the photo myself, so I really have no right to tell you what to do with it. Thanks for asking, and thanks for the compliments ...

 
At 6:52 PM, Blogger Bainbo said...

... erm I'm not sure how to admit this. I'm really torn about octopuses. (I don't thinl "octopi" is right.)

I've seen a documentary abou one learning to find its way through a maze. They're really intelligent. And I've looked one in the eye in an aquarium - there's something really deep going on in there...


but ...

 
At 6:53 PM, Blogger Bainbo said...

they're delicious

 
At 11:22 PM, Blogger jedi787plus said...

Who remembers the deleted underwater scene from the movie "The Goonies", where the kids fight a giant octopus and one of them puts a radio into the octopus' beak to make it dance?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home