Monday, November 01, 2004

Can I Ask A Favor From Non-American Readers?

I got a comment from the ever-mysterious "Nics," a London reader, and it made me think--

If you are outside the United States and reading this blog, would you mind sending the post below (titled I Wanna Be Sedated) to a few friends? It's fashionable to trash Americans now, and I'm not saying I don't see your point. But I had a real gutful of it when I lived in Australia, and jeans-wearing Coca-Cola drinkers busted on America while extolling the virtues of Michael Moore (an American) in the same conversation.

Maybe this is a ploy to drive up traffic, but I just want people to know how tense everything is here right now. This week is going to be an absolute bitch for the whole country, and the next four years is gonna have half of us pissed off no matter how you look at it.

So please, if you don't mind, send your friends this snapshot just so you know what we're feeling like right now.

Thanks so much.

1 Comments:

At 7:11 PM, Blogger Mean Red said...

hi. sorry to disappoint but i'm not very mysterious and i don't come from London. i'm a student from Belfast, Northern Ireland so i have some experience in fearing terrorist attacks, albeit not to the extent of 9/11, but in relation to the size of my country, the Omagh bombing was devastating. the politics here are at times rudimentary and demoralising, it's just plain scary most of the time. but i will email your post to my friends, not all of us indulge in trashing america and it's citizens. although one of my friends is currently studying in Arkansas' University of the Ozarks and some of the things she's been asked by students and teachers reflect badly on your fellow americans. keep writing, the news reports we get tend to pick one or two voters to follow, usually a rich to minimum wage white man. i hope election day goes without any hitches.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home