Tuesday, January 11, 2005

What Is Music Doing?

Man, I came across this auction on Ebay, and it made me drool. Music was so exciting in the 90's, and this record collection completely remind me of how much rock, uh, rocked. I'm totally kicking myself for not taking part in the SubPop singles club when it was around.

I guess everyone can remember thrilling to the sounds of their favorite locally-accessible rock band...mine was the Sleepytime Trio, pictured below.
1sleepytime
You may recognize that moppy black-haired drummer as Jonathan Fuller, currently a screamer/guitarist with Engine Down. And the dude with his back to you is Ben Davis, who I last heard has been tapped to maybe have a song on the O.C.

Music used to be so exciting, and I can't tell if it was a swelling wave in rock'n roll, or if it's exciting now, too, and I'm just out of touch. I know that the stuff that moves me lately tends to be more mainstream, but it's because the sound I like has gotten more popular. Is there anything thrilling in the wings, any completely amazing house-show scene going on that isn't emo-derived? Everything sounds so bland and formulaic now. Is music in a downswing, or am I just a cranky guy who's out of touch?

And my final question: what music is truly new and spectacular?

1 Comments:

At 3:35 AM, Blogger Edward said...

how about nobukazu takemura's childisc label, and the books, try takemura's scope album.....how about some of the japanese jam stuff like ooioo or les rallizes denudes?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home