Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Cap for the Toothpaste, Ketchup for My Shoe

Astute readers of this blog may be thinking "Whoa, hang on there. What's happened to that last post?"

I took it down. I've actually never done that before, I don't think.

In writing about my recent layoff, I was attempting to make some sunshine out of a tough situation. I crafted something immediate that was written quickly and passionately -- and meant nothing but good things towards all the people involved. It's come to my attention that those very people didn't take it that way, and I'm really, really sorry.

Ever see the original 'Frankenstein', the Boris Karloff/James Whale version? There's this scene where the monster is kneeling by a riverbank with a little girl who is picking flowers and throwing them into the river. In an honest, well-meaning attempt to play along, the monster picks the little girl up, snaps her neck, and chucks her corpse into the river.

It kinda went like that. Or maybe it didn't -- but in my paranoid, oversensitive mind, it did, and that's the only reality I've got.

Blogs are awesome and terrifying because you can put your foot in your mouth faster than ever before with long-lasting results. At the moment, I feel like I've deep-throated my entire leg up past the knee. Involved parties know who they are, and I hope they know I'm really sorry.

Have you guys, my dozen loyal readers, ever really crammed a foot in there in a public forum? What did you do, and how'd you handle it?

9 Comments:

At 12:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. Oh my goodness yes, and I'm sorry but I'm too embarrassed to tell you what it is.

2. Furiously backpedaled, and since then I cringe every time I think of it.

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger David said...

I'm probably a little too careful in this regard. I have written several posts that never went live. If I've got one I'm not sure about, I sleep on it. And in the morning, it's clear that it needs to stay safely on my hard drive. Amazing how a night's sleep (even a bad one) will give you fresh perspective and allow you to make wiser decisions.

 
At 1:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I'm discussing my ex-girlfriend, I tend to cram my foot so far into my mouth that it actually comes out my backside, and I'm able to stand on my own two feet once again. That's the plus. The negative is that I always seem to wind up an inch or two shorter while also walking with a limp.

Other than that, I thought your post was pretty fair and level-headed. Sorry to hear that some folks got upset, but hopefully they'll see past that and understand that sometimes people do get angry.

Anyway, have a great day, and remember to chew your food.

 
At 1:03 PM, Blogger Jeff Simmermon said...

OO, Daniel, my friend -- NEVER blog about your lady-life online. That's just bad karma right there. As it turns out, one's dating and work life are off limits. Considering that most humans spend 99 percent of their time worrying about one or the other, it makes content kinda hard to come by, but there you have it.

 
At 1:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wasn't the whole point of your happiness the fact that the work people couldn't tell you what to write anymore? Put the post back up, it was good and they know it. Don't let people get in your head.

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger Jeff Simmermon said...

Anon -- I see your point. However, hurting the people that helped you SUCKS, doubly so when you didn't mean to in the first place.

 
At 11:24 PM, Blogger Call me Paul said...

Now I'm trying to remember that post in enough detail to figure out what you said that bothered someone. Anyway, you gotta do what you gotta do. Post goes bye-bye. We lives with it.

Hey, do I need to get some kind of funky picture uploaded somewhere to be one of the cool kids?

 
At 10:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great comparison. Get you completely. Do what you feel is right, and I understand not wanting to hurt people who helped you. True, the post was great, but having read your blog for a while now, I know there will be many more great posts to follow it. K, I'm done blowing smoke. But seriously enjoy the time off.

 
At 12:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doesn't surprise me you did that at all. Glad you left AOL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home