Thursday, July 19, 2007

BLTs are a Universal Truth


BLT Sandwich
Originally uploaded by jasonperlow
You can't conjure up resonant, universal truths on purpose. They just have to happen, right in front of you or dribble out from between the lips by accident for someone else to discover.

There was this discussion on Metafilter today about bacon salt. Not that it wouldn't have caught my attention anyway -- who wouldn't want to learn more about bacon salt -- but having just read about bacon ice cream in the Post, I clicked a little faster.

The chat itself was okay, pretty good by Metafilter standards (read: nobody got crapped on), but this comment from a guy called Divine_Wino slapped me in the face like a big cold carp made out of universal truth:

I don't know about bacon salt, really, but just think about this for a minute:

You cook up some of that thick slab bacon, slooooowly. Then you take some fresh sliced sourdough bread and toast it lightly. Then you cut up one New Jersey beefsteak tomato (wait till you get a good one!), you need four thick slices because you are going to end up eating two of these, then one (ONE) piece of red leaf lettuce or Romaine (you need about 1/3 stem/thick end to leaf ratio), not too wet from when you rinse it under the tap. Mayo, fresh ground black pepper ...

Here is the amazing thing about this amazing sandwich, really, really, anyone can make it and it's fucking delicious, it's the most democratic thing in the world a BLT, with a BLT every man is a king, every woman is president-for-life, every dog is a pony.

Drink ice water while you are eating your BLT's and then quickly go wash your hands and face and lie down on a freshly made bed in an airconditioned room, read sci-fi paperbacks from the seventies, take a little nap.

That's about as good as being a human being gets, I'm pretty sure.


That's summer afternoons at my grandparents', trips to my aunt and uncles' farm, long slow weekends with plans for later but nothing much to do right now and the splendor of simplicity all in three paragraphs. Try pulling that one off on purpose and see how it goes.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 9:23 PM, Blogger Daniel Poehlman said...

God damn, if that just doesn't strum every available chord of comfort I possess. However, I prefer an ice-cold glass of root beer instead of ice water, and home made mayonnaise blows the store-bought stuff out of the water.

But yeah... That's pretty damn close to the perfect way to spend a summer afternoon in my book.

 
At 10:04 PM, Blogger Daniel Poehlman said...

Well... If we're turning this into a sandwich contest, how about grabbing two slices of wonder bread and cramming a needle full of smack into a vein.

Top that sandwich, beyotch!

 
At 8:54 AM, Blogger Braving the Arirang said...

Actually looking at all your photos, you're an awesome photographer~! I only like to pretend that I know what I am doing with my mini Fugifilm in my hand. hahaha

Thanks for all your advice. Will you be going again this year or no? If you are, maybe we'll bump into each other or something. Always cool to meet new people.

 
At 11:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice blog. I will keep reading. Please take the time to visit my blog about Free Guitar Lesson

 

Post a Comment

<< Home