Monday, August 07, 2006

Semi-Sorta Roundup

So there was a DC Blogs "Happy Hour" on Friday. I put quotes around "Happy Hour" because that phrase usually connotes low drink prices and an hour or two, max... I guess "spend three hours getting tanked" doesn't really snap right off the tongue. Most of the key players in the DC Blogs clique were there -- you know who you are.

Velvet in Dupont did not appear to have completely blogged herself out of male attention. And I must say that her cleavage looks MUCH better in person than it does on her blog.

I had three favorite moments from the evening, which I'll relate quickly and then clear out:

I was standing there talking to DCCookie when some dude rolled up. She introduced me to him, saying,
"Hey (some dude), this is my friend Jeff. His blog is really ... interesting. It has a lot of ... personality."
To which he said,
"Well, personality goes a long way,"
to which I wittily replied
"Yes, but"
and then accidentally smashed my drink all over the floor, mostly, except for the healthy amount of vodka, tonic and broken glass spattering Cookie's legs, toes, and feet. Smooth. Smoooth operator, that's me. I think she had to take her shoes off and really get right between the toes with a cocktail napkin to repair the damage I'd wrought.

I ran into CircleV and we were crapping on about this and that, blog t-shirts and the Flaming Lips mostly, and she said something that ended with the phrase
"...anyway, I'm an alcoholic."
I said,
"Really, I'm sorry to hear that. Do you go to meetings regularly?"
thinking, well, I know a few recovering alcoholics, one of whom is no slouch as a blogger, either. Circle V sputtered and then laughed in my face, saying
"Well I'm not a QUITTER! I mean, I drink every day, but I'm not trying to stop or anything!"


Drew, Joe, and Alejandra and I were leaned against the bar having a well-informed and brilliant discussion about contemporary comic books -- as we are all just that cool. If it hadn't been for computers and comic book movies coming into the spotlight in the past few years, I'd be so screwed, socially. I think all would have been. Anyway, we're all crapping on about the Watchmen or something, and Martin rocks out shouting
"Comic books! You guys are talking about comics and nobody told me!? This is a conversation I can get INTO, man!!!"


It was at that moment that I think I fell in love, a little bit. Standing around tipsy and dorking out about a shared interest unrelated to blogging and blogging stats, just goofing hard with some folks that I never would have met without frequent forays into the sedentary Tron-world that is my new social life -- fantastic.

While it would have been nice to see Lonnie Bruner out, we managed to catch up at the swimming hole the following day. More on that later. For now, I'm tired as hell.

5 Comments:

At 9:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good time, and I'm cracking up at you smashing your drink. Real smooth. ;-)

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Good to meet you! And see? It wasn't so bad, now was it?

 
At 3:08 PM, Blogger E :) said...

Damn I'm PISSED that I missed the happy hour. Damn marathon. I'm so not missing the next one, even if it does mean skipping a 20 mile run the next day (fingers crossed there will be another one soon...).

 
At 12:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had trouble with that whole holding onto your drink concept as well. Next time I'll have to keep a good grip on my beer, that was a tragic waste of Newcastle.

 
At 3:21 PM, Blogger Brian said...

JS, I have to give you a little more credit than you're giving yourself: you did follow up with a very appropriate Pulp Fiction quote in response to the personality comment (mongoose might taste like pumpkin pie...). Granted, whether it was pre- or post-exploding drink I don't quite remember, but it was good. I just feel privileged to make the top 3, even if it was as my super-secret identity, Some Dude.

I was actually more impressed that you managed to get glass on the girl behind Cookie. That's talent.

But yours was by no means the first or last drink grenade, so I say no worries. Okay, so maybe it was the first, but still.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home