Wednesday, October 25, 2006

More Things to Not Blog About

I made it back from Baltimore okay, although I should have gotten a new ass at that bike shop. Man, talk about sore. I've got a ton of photos and video from the trip that I'm sifting through -- trying to find the perfect pics to illustrate a post. In all probability, it really matters to me much more than anyone else. You guys will just see three bozos with helmets, but me, I'm invested.

My boss often says that "perfection is the enemy of good" and he's right in this case. For some reason, I can't just crank a post out -- the adventure was so great to me that I need to match the perfect photo of myself in a helmet and ridiculous fitover shades with it.

As for my other writing project -- I can't blog about that, either. Suffice it to say that I've never done something quite like it. And it's really, really exciting. And even though I will just crap on and on about it into anyone's ear that will stand still long enough, posting about just seems like it will curse the whole thing.

Do you ever get that fear? The irrational fear that if you give yourself over too much to a project and actually talk about it, you'll doom it to failure? What is that? Where does it come from?

2 Comments:

At 3:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know exactly how you feel. There is a fragile abyss between a great idea's conception and its actualization. All great ideas must traverse this unknown in order to come to full fruition. Inspiration and excitement, though certainly helpful, are not enough. Overexposure places an unnecessary burden on an idea's voyage and can misguide it, maybe even sink it. It's a totally rational fear to have. Besides, nourishment and development should precede any form of hype. You’re doing the right thing. -Don

 
At 11:23 AM, Blogger David said...

I've had that Fear. But it's better to have that Fear than this one. I think there's a good Hunter S. Thompson quote for just about any situation.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home